The flying school

The EAC-m is first of all a flying club, but it also houses an officially recognized flying school. The EAC-m ATO (Approved Training Organization) offers the complete training for a private pilot. The flying school meets the EASA requirements and is supervised by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT). The ATO is a foundation and therefore has no profit motive.

The licenses: PPL and LAPL

For private pilots, there are two different certificates (licenses). We offer flight training for both.

The PPL (Private Pilot License) is a worldwide certification recognized by ICAO. You can fly with it anywhere in Europe. In the rest of the world you can easily obtain equation (convalidation) with the local PPL license.

The LAPL (Light Aircraft Pilot License) is a European license that meets the requirements of EASA. You cannot fly with it outside of Europe.

Both certifications give you the authority to operate non-commercial flights. You can fly solo or with friends. But you may not take passengers for a fee.

The LAPL is a good basis for a private pilot. There are some restrictions (such as a maximum take-off weight of 2000 kg, a maximum of 3 passengers, and flying 10 hours solo after graduation before taking passengers), but that will not bother you in practice. Optionally, you can extend the license later with a night or aerobatics rating.

However, the PPL offers more growth opportunities. If you want to learn instrument flying or become a flight instructor, you will first need to get your PPL. This is also the case if you want to follow further training for a commercial license, such as a CPL for professional pilots or an ATPL for commercial pilots. These certifications cannot be obtained at the EAC-m ATO, by the way.

For a PPL a minimum of 45 hours of flight instruction is required, for a LAPL this is only 30 hours. If you learn very fast, this is an important advantage. Keep in mind, however, that most student pilots need more than 45 hours to complete their certification, also for a LAPL.

Theoretical training and radiotelephony requirements are the same for both licenses.

To be precise: the certificate you get from us is called PPL(A) SEP, or LAPL(A) SEP. It applies to single propeller aircraft powered by a piston engine. The A stands for Aircraft (so, for example, no helicopter or balloon), SEP stands for Single Engine Piston (so, for example, not two jet engines).

Flight instruction

The EAC-m ATO has about 20 flight instructors, some with years of experience as a pilot in civil aviation or the air force. The flying lessons are given in our trainer aircraft, two modern CZA PS-28 Cruisers with glass cockpits. Two to three flight instructors are available on weekends. You sign up for a block of two hours for both the airplane and the instructor.

The flight itself takes about an hour. Before that, a briefing and flight preparation will take place. Afterwards there is a debriefing (evaluation) with the flight instructor.

After a number of lessons you will fly solo for the first time, a very special experience. Ultimately, as a student pilot, you will make overland flights of more than 250 km, with landings on other fields. During PPL training you also fly to foreign fields under the guidance of an instructor. How long it takes to get to this point depends on your progress and may vary considerably per person.

The EAC-m ATO has a number of in-house examiners where you take the practical exam.

For your first solo you need a medical certificate (EASA class 2 for PPL or EASA LAPL). In Eindhoven, Sky Medical Center provides medical examinations. If you are unsure about your physical condition, it is wise to have the examination before the start of the training.

Theoretical knowledge training

Next to your flight training you need to prepare for theoretical examinations in seven subjects.

  • Principles of flight (aerodynamics and flight performance)
  • Aircraft general knowledge
  • Air law
  • Communications
  • Meteorology
  • Human performance and limitations
  • Navigation, flight planning and monitoring

The EAC-m ATO provides a theory course, but it’s in Dutch, just as the examinations by the Dutch authorities. We’ll refer you to another ground school for training and examinations in English


While flying you will often be in contact by radio with air traffic control or a flight information service. The radiotelephony practical training prepares you for this.

In a small class (maximum five students), practical situations are acted out using our radiotelephony simulators. Classes are held on midweek evenings. After seven lessons, the exam is taken in-house by an examiner from outside the ATO (usually a traffic controller).

Although the course is in Dutch, it is still followed by some foreign students. Alternatively we can refer you to an English course elsewhere.

Eindhoven air base is a so-called controlled field. Any maneuver of the aircraft, in the air or on the ground, requires permission from air traffic control. This has the advantage that during flight training on our field you build up a good routine in radiotelephony.

In addition to the radiotelephony certificate, a pilot must also obtain the so-called Language Proficiency Endorsement (LPE). This examination tests whether you can communicate in English and follow radio traffic at a satisfactory level. We do not offer this examination, but can refer you to an accredited language assessment agency.

Duration of flight training

The duration of the full flight training course depends on your progress and varies greatly from person to person.

The theory course and radiotelephony training take 10 months. Most students already take exams during the course after completing each subject, and we recommend that. The final theoretical exam may then follow shortly after the end of the course.

All theoretical exams must be passed within 18 months after the end of the month in which the first exam attempt takes place.

The minimum duration of the practical training is 30 hours of flight instruction for LAPL or 45 hours for PPL. Most students, however, need more flying lessons for both types of certification, on average 70 hours.

A duration of 12 to 24 months is normal for the entire course. But longer time spans occur too.

The practical exam must be passed no later than 24 months after the last theoretical exam. Otherwise the “Theory Statement” expires.

Cost of the flight training

Here we will give an indication of the cost of flight training at the 2021 price level. But much depends on your personal progress.

Apart from a small fixed amount, the cost of a flying lesson depends on the duration. To be precise: on the time the engine has been running, as measured by a (Hobbs) meter in the airplane. You pay € 36 per hour for the costs of instruction and a fixed amount of € 9 for the briefing and debriefing. With a € 12.50 landing fee, a flying lesson of exactly one hour comes to € 175.50.

Practical training
Flying lessons (70 hours) € 12.285
Headset € 450
Necessities € 60
Medical class 2 (initial) € 338
Examination and license KIWA € 1.013
Subtotal € 14.146
Theoretical knowledge training and R/T
Course € 1.390
Books € 268
Necessities € 125
LPE € 140
CBR exams € 887
Subtotal € 2.781

Total flight training costs  €   16.927

Frequently asked questions

What is the minimum age for flight training?
You must be at least 17 years old to obtain the license. The training can start earlier.

How often is it best to plan a flying lesson?
It is good to fly at least once every two weeks. Otherwise it will take too much time to get back to the old level. It is then good to plan a flying lesson every week. Sometimes a lesson is canceled, for example because of the weather.

Can I do more than one flying lesson in a day?
Yes, that’s possible. But many students will find that too tiring. A flying lesson requires concentration and effort. You also need time to process what you have learned.

Can I have lessons on weekdays?
This is possible by appointment. Some flight instructors are also available in the week.

Where should I start first: theoretical knowledge training or flight training?
We recommend beginning both courses more or less simultaneously. Practice and theory reinforce each other. What you learn from one course also comes in handy with the other. But you are free to start with either one alone. Please note the mentioned deadlines (under “duration of flight training”).

Can I prepare myself for the theoretical exams without attending the classes?
In principle, yes. You do need the recommendation of an ATO to be able to take theoretical exams. So you are subject to the minimum requirements of your ground school.

Do I have to choose between a LAPL or PPL certificate at the start of the course?
You must make a choice before you start flying lessons, the syllabuses of the two courses differ from each other and are personalized per student. The theoretical knowledge training and radiotelephony course are the same for both licenses.


Do you have any questions about flight training after reading the information on the website? Send an email to Robert Jan van Wijk, Chief Theoretical Knowledge Instructor of the EAC-m ATO.